Sunday, February 25, 2007

Phat Tuesday



In my search for something new and innovative to paint/create/produce, I came across the fact that it was "Phat Tuesday" last week. Never having been to New Orleans, I've never experienced the celebration called Mardi Gras. I had planned a trip with some friends before the devastation of Katrina but we had put it off for another year or so. Unfortunately, we'll never see the New Orleans that was.
I've always been fascinated by the masks worn in the parade and I decided to incorporate them into a piece of art. Like most of my pieces, just the shred of an idea is the beginning point and then the piece takes shape from there. Since I'm experimenting with Mixed Media, I will continue to try different photo transfer techniques as well as collage.
Maybe in my meanderings, I'll uncover some of the magic that is Mardi Gras.

No comments: