Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Lifelong Learning

While attending one of my first weekend painting workshops, my friend and I made an observation. Forget the "Fountain of Youth", just continue painting. We met hundreds of artists, many of whom were so excited by their work that they had trouble finding enough time in the day to bring to fruition the new ideas they had. Guessing one's age is a risky business at best but we were mentally guessing many of these artists were in their late fifties, early sixties until one woman proudly announced she had just celebrated her 87th birthday!
There is something to be said for getting up in the morning, looking forward to creating something new. It exercises the mind and the body but most of all it enriches the spirit. Trying something you have never tried before holds a special sense of adventure. (Like when I bought roller-blades for myself when I turned 50).
When I look at the evolution of my painting, I realize that I really haven't developed a distinctive style nor have I limited myself to one type of painting or medium. Instead, I continue to be eclectic and experimental and I have no plans to change, even when I'm 87!
This weekend I will attend a mixed media workshop with a new group of budding artists. Who knows what new adventures I'll have?

No comments: