Friday, January 26, 2007

Inspiration and the Blank Canvas


Approaching a new painting is both exciting and frightening. That first stroke of colour seems to take so long to materialize. Most of the work takes place before even beginning with the paint or art materials. It involves searching for that ever-illusive inspiration - lying awake at night because you've come up with something that "might" work - reading through a pile of art magazines or researching in those art books that have never been fully explored.

Because of my eclectic approach to my work, this state of flux is a way of life for me. I don't always do landscapes or portraits or vases of flowers. People ask, "What do you paint?". The answer is never simple because I do not feel I can settle into just one thing. I hope I never do. Experimentation is what keeps me going in new directions and that will keep my work fresh and original.

No comments: